Anxiety can be rather exhausting and debilitating. It can interfere with our thinking processes, decision-making and problem-solving skills; so if you feel it's time to address this issue and do something about it, please, carry on reading.
There are two angles to remember when we are dealing with anxiety. One is long-term when we take a long hard look at our life and stress levels and see what adjustments we can make to reduce the stress factors - if that is what drives our anxiety. The other one is short-term, mostly useful for when you are in the grip of this heart-sinking feeling of doom and gloom. It consists of a few techniques that you yourself have tested and tried and keep them in your pocket, so to speak, to use at any time, even when you are on the go.
So, here are a few ideas for short-term instant anxiety alleviation to get you going:
1. Breathing: simply focus your attention on your breathing and inhale-exhale as fully and slowly as you can a few times.
2. Movement: change your position, do a little stretching, wiggle your toes, or any other movement to distract your mind and change your thought direction.
3. Visualization: imagine yourself in a nice place where you feel the safest, stay with the image for a few seconds, until you feel calmer.
4. Self-talk: find a few affirmative phrases, memorize them and any time you feel like things are getting out of control, gently remind yourself of those helpful words of wisdom - eg., 'you can do this', 'it's going to be fine' and so on.
5. Smile: there is something about smiling even when you don't feel like it, I think it's due to body-mind connection. So, our body associates smiling with good feelings and will change your feelings for you, if you just find the strength to smile to yourself. Try it, it might work for you too.
Hope just some of those things from above will help you to take it easy, let go and relax.